Old 19-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Pam

Default ants in mulch bin... what now?

In our last fun filled episode, Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:13:12 +0200,
Henriette Kress proclaimed:

Kellie J. Berger wrote:

I let my mulch bin go.... for a long time.... and now i need to add green
stuff i am weeding out of the garden, but there is a huge ant pile in there
(i think fire ants... didn't get that close)....

Your compost is too dry

Pee on it, regularly, 2-3 times a week; or put nettle water (nettles in
bucket, water, let sit 5-10 days) on it. Once it gets damp enough the ants
will leave.

If it is fire ants, the problem is ..ahem..a wee bit more
serious. Fire ants can be very dangerous, especially if there
are small children or pets around.

The good news is that if you disturb the nest several times,
they'll move out of the compost and you can treat the mound
when it pops up in its new location.

Pam

"ElissaAnn"