Old 19-11-2003, 04:43 PM
Pam Moore

Default Leaves

On 19 Nov 2003 07:12:00 -0800, (ayrposter)
wrote:

Do you
leave them in plastic bags? Do you give them any air holes?

I am interested as I have just taken 8 bags of leaves to the tip and
feel its such a waste as we usually compost our garden waste but this
was just too large a quantity.

Leaves take longer than other stuff to rot down, but in bin bags,
dumped in a corner of the garden somewhere they will rot down to leaf
mould in a couple of years or less. Make sure the leaves are wet and
stab the bags a few times with t garden fork to allow air in.

Your conifer trimmings will rot down too. The bigger the pieces, the
longer they take. Best shredded, but it just takes longer if not. If
you don't have room, then yes, it's the tip! Does your council
collect? Some do. Some sell you bags of compost, some let you
collect it free.
Check yours out!

Pam in Bristol