Old 19-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default Horse in compost pile?

John Bachman wrote:

Hi have a large collection of leaves in which I have mixed lime, cow
manure and green waste but I have more leaves than anything. I can
get all the horse manure I want, sawdust bedding. Does anyone have
any experience with horse in compost?

depends a bit on how often the bedding is changed. If it's changed
frequently, it's high in carbon. If not, the nitrogen will be enough to
compost it on its own. Most horse owners change it frequently, so you
will have to add a nitrogen source to get it to compost quickly. If you
don't it will still compost, but it won't get hot enough to break down
quickly and kill weed seeds. Horses' digestion is much different than
cows'. Horses are basically shredders, and the form of the input is
visible in the output. Cows do more processing.

The same comment applies to "more leaves than anything". Cow manure has
a fair amount of nitrogen for composting. The lime probably doesn't add
anything useful. Compost tends toward neutral pH, even if you start with
oak leaves and pine needles.

If you want a hot pile, throw on some fertilizer.

If the sawdust bedding isn't completely broken down by the time you
spread it on your garden it will tie up available nitrogen while it
breaks down some more.