Old 19-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Fito

Default Horse in compost pile?

"John Bachman" wrote in message
Hi have a large collection of leaves in which I have mixed lime, cow
manure and green waste but I have more leaves than anything. I can
get all the horse manure I want, sawdust bedding. Does anyone have
any experience with horse in compost?

TIA

Are you hot composting? If you arent, the main difference between cow and
horse manures is the way each animal digests food (as the poster above me
has said). Why this may be a problem is because of weed seeds. People who
use it say the they have few problems with weeds and are easily able to pull
them if present. Ask the horse owner what the horses eat.

As far as sawdust, hot composting will solve that problem.

Fito