Old 19-11-2003, 07:15 PM
Chris Hogg

Default where to buy diabetic bread in London?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:32:53 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

"..........My neighbour is diabetic and has been buying expensive imported
diabetic bread. Does anyone know where this can be bought in London at
reasonable prices? ....."

I presume she has contact with a Diabetic clinic locally.
She should ask their advice.
This site may help a little with contacts
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/home.htm

David, I missed the start of this thread, so apologies for following
up on your post.

Diabetics in general need to watch their carbohydrate intake and be
selective in it's type. For Type 2 diabetics (aka late onset diabetes,
aka NIDDM), ordinary white bread is one of the sources of carbohydrate
best avoided (for example, it's worse than sugar, the substance most
non-diabetics think diabetics have to avoid like the plague). Whole
grain breads (e.g. rye bread, pumpernickel) are more suitable. There
are also breads based on other flours such as soy or gram flour that
are also more appropriate (Bergen soy and linseed is one such,
available in most supermarkets).

Most so-called diabetic foods are a scam. They're expensive and are
often worse for diabetics than the normal item. Boots no longer stock
them, for that reason. This 'diabetic bread' may well be one such, or
may just be a bread not based on wheat flour, or have a lower
carbohydrate content per slice. Either way, I suggest your friend
considers some of the alternatives I've suggested.

You could also try asking on alt.support.diabetes.uk

What's it got to do with gardening?

--
Chris