Old 19-11-2003, 07:22 PM
ned

Default Leaves

ayrposter wrote:
(jane) wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:13:07 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

~
Now all I've got to do is convey them to the garage, water them and
forget about them for ~2 years.\

Hi Jane! I was interested in this part of your message. Please
explain! Is this to help them rot down for use as compost? Do you
leave them in plastic bags? Do you give them any air holes?

I am interested as I have just taken 8 bags of leaves to the tip and
feel its such a waste as we usually compost our garden waste but

this
was just too large a quantity.

A further question- has anyone any suggestions of how to get rid of
Cupressus hedge trimmings. Again I have vaste quantities of this
antisocial garden waste - too much for a shredder and not enough

space
to burn them. Is the only solution countless trips to the tip.

I know it may not be feasible for everyone, but I just sweep/blow my
autumn leaves under the shrubbery and cover them with old wire netting
until next spring. By then they will be sufficiently decomposed to
just sit there like a mulch, and I can then remove the netting for the
growing season.
Cupressus clippings from 120ft of hedging, I do shred. That always
reduces the bulk. I then use them on veg plot paths or on a patch of
waste ground next to the garage. That is now my source of potting
compost. Beautiful stuff it is. Close to peat in texture. Or spread
some of the clippings under the cupressus to mulch out the weeds and
grass.

--
ned