Old 20-11-2003, 05:03 PM
TS

Default Going to fist Orchid Show- need suggestions!!

In article , Susan Erickson
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:53:10 -0500, TShnnn
wrote:

This weekend near my house is an Orchid Show. It is an AOS show for the
state at a local mall.
I was thinking maybe I should get there early the first day- to get a
selection of the best orchids, then return on the last day- maybe for
some bargains from people who still have some left.
I have been collecting for a couple of years and have 20-30 orchids. I
grow them under a 400 watt MH in my basement, and let them bloom in a
bow window in my living room. I want to buy a few nice additions this
weekend.
Any suggestions for a first timer would be greatly appreciated!

What are you growing now? What intrigues you?
Are you interested in species, or Catt hybrids, or ??
We need more guidance to give you suggestions.
Although I will say there is merit in your plan for a couple of
visits. Remember to buy 'what you can not live with out' on the
first trip. But often there will be specials during the last
hour or two. Are you a member of the OS putting the show
together? You could assist during setup and get to know some of
the vendors too.

SuE

Well, I got interested in orchids after a couple of trips to Maui. They
grow everywhere, gas stations, side of the road, restuarants,in the
jungles, etc. When i got back I wanted to keep the mana around, so I
started growing hybiscus, and a few phals i got from Home Depot.
Like most new orchid growers, i had no idea what I was doing, once the
phals lost their bloom, I thought they were dead.
Anyway, after buying more phals, and learning how to re-bloom them, I
became hooked. I also got to know a grower nearby who lets me visit his
greenhouse and purchase plants.

I still love phals, and have quite a few different types, but since I
got my light and grow room set up I have been buying different orchids.
I now have dendrobiums (not really my favorite), paphs, cymbidiums
(awesome plants if I can get them to spike again), oncidiums, brassias,
and few really cool Degarmoras (my new favorite!)

So I guess I would say that I dont need and more phals right now. My
wife loves the paphs- so I probably would like more of them. I would
also like some really cool brassias and Degarmoras if they have some.
Really, I like to grab all different types, ones with incredible
flowers, etc. I know that the denrobiums are nice this time of year- but
I am leary of them since the ones I bought last year have not spiked
again yet.

I am psyched for the show, and will probably spend $100-$200 if my wife
lets me. I do hope to get some REAL nice orchids ready to bloom for my
window, and then maybe some small, young ones I can grow downstairs. I
hope to get some bargains so I can stretch my alotted cash a bit. if
not, I will probably be disappointed and just head back to the
greenhouse to see my commercial grower friend...