Old 20-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Edson

Default Lacebark elm sources

Does anyone out there know of a retail source for some of the more
cold-hardy lacebark elms (a.k.a Chinese elms)? I'm specificially
looking for Ulmus parvifolia 'Pathfinder' or 'Ohio', though any
small/medium-sized lacebarks that will be happy in Zone 6a would be
helpful. For once, Google's not finding what I want.

I found a few places selling lacebark elms, but they either don't
specify the cultivar or they've only got the larger varieties. (Wait,
is it a cultivar or a variety? I can never figure that out...) I'm
looking for a tree that I can plant in the 8-foot wide strip of grass
between the sidewalk and the street, so I don't want something that's
going to get 80 feet tall and tear up the sidewalk.

If anybody's planted a lacebark elm (or any other disease resistant
elms), I'd love to hear about it. If I could find a place for it, I'd
love a nice big Princeton or Valley Forge elm too.

Oh, I'm near Cincinnati, Ohio, so if by some weird chance you know of
a local source, that would work also. I haven't lived here that long,
so I'm not very familiar with the area tree nurseries.

Thanks!

- Edson