Old 20-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Bob Walsh

Default Ted's paphs and phrags

Ted,

After Rob's explanation of the differences, when a flower is spent and falls
off, should be a good time to disect it. I plan to when I next have the
chance.

Bob
"Ted Byers" wrote in message

"Rob Halgren" wrote in message
Ted Byers wrote:

For besseae hybrids (especially) color is influenced by
temperature. Colors are always brighter and more intense when flowers
develop in cool temperatures. The flowers of the same plant of Hanne
Popow (besseae x schlimii) bloomed in the summer and winter can be so
different as to cause you to suspect the tags have been messed up. That
might be what you are seeing. And the flower size and shape is also
determined by the prevailing conditions when the bud develops. A little
water stress one day, a stiff breeze the next, a cloud or two on the
third... With sequentially flowering plants, the conditions can be
different with each flower bud. With plants that bloom their

I believe the vendor bloomed it out in his greenhouse, which is quite

humid.
That flower dropped off after several days in my house, and the second,
current flower was produced under lights, with RH around 50% right now.

I have no idea what is in it's background. The tag is hard to read,

because
of the thickness of the marker used to write it, but it looks like Phrag.
Dan Wimber.

Cheers,

Ted