Old 20-11-2003, 10:05 PM
Chris Cochrane

Default [IBC] new die grinder

Hi Dave.

The Dewalt Die Grinder (like the popular Mikita) looks fine for doing what
it does.

Unlike some Foredom flex-shaft tools, it doesn't offer reverse direction
(great for reaching/cutting with the grain on both sides of a deep cut), it
doesn't include variable speed control (though the Foredom foot-pedal will
work fine and leave your hands free) and it doesn't include an 1/8" collet
as well as a 1/4" collet for accommodating a wider selection of bits.
Without the flexible shaft, I don't think you'll be using the Dewalt to
carve daiza, either.

I'd check out www.woodcarverssupply.com & perhaps order their catalog which
offers interesting detail on tool options (including wood grinders &
flex-shaft carvers) whether you buy them or not. For example, they offer an
accessory that claims to transform a rotating tool into a reciprocal (like
AutoMach) carver.

Good luck.

Best wishes,
Chris