Old 21-11-2003, 04:03 AM
sam crowell

Default [IBC] Possibly Ailing Miniature Bamboo

Hello,

I have a tray planting of Pleioblastus pygmaeus (Sasa) miniature bamboo.
The last couple months it seems to have slowly begun to decline.

The most noticeable symptom is drying out and browning of the leaves, which
occurs quite slowly from the tip back to the stem.

Ironically, at the same time it is pushing (slowly) new shoots. These new
shoots are quite pale, seem to lack vigor, and after they get to the point
of unfurling their leaves, they also start to simply dry out.

I have also considered it is just slowing down for the winter-time. But the
pale shoot issue had started to be noticeable in early autumn.

I normally keep the tray slightly moist, as I have lost similar plantings if
any true drying-out occurs. It is currently in a west facing window where
it has been wintered for 2 years. I have been wondering if I need to
perhaps fertilize it slightly, but knowing that can be exactly the wrong
thing to do, I thought I would field the question here first.

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon
4200' elevation, Zone 5 (?)

Gift-shop online from the comfort of home at MSN Shopping! No crowds, free
parking. http://shopping.msn.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++