Old 21-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Travis

Default little birds eating black bamboo leaves here in san fran

hermine stover wrote:
On 19 Nov 2003 14:51:39 -0800, (bruce) wrote:

i don't know what kind of brids they are (noisy and small)
but they love the leaves of my large black bamboo ( i believe
it is a native american variety.) They do not eat the
philostachys aurea, or the p. nigra, or the spectabilis that
is all close by. They love to hang out there and in some
trees in the neighbors yard. Suggestions???? I tried a net
(works only while it is up). I can't shoot them.

I wonder what they are REALLY eating. Phyllostachys nigra IS
black bamboo, which is not native to the USA.
Can you keep netting or chickenwire or something like that over
the bamboo until it is hardened off? by Large black bamboo, do
you mean a tropical clumper like Gigantochloa atroviolacea or
Bambusa lakka? are you in Florida?

I think the "san fran" in the subject line means San Francisco
California.
I'm just guessing is all.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5