Old 21-11-2003, 01:32 PM
simy1

Default coldframe

(IC_Gardener) wrote in message . com...
We did some remodeling projects around the house this summer, and I am
left with two sliding doors that I don't want to pay to take to the
dump. I thought that they would make a nice top to a coldframe. Is
there any place that has plans for one, or do people just improvise a
box for whatever size window they have? Also, if I build one in early
January, when could I put plants (lettuce, spinach, etc) inside?

Just improvise. If you can remodel, you can certainly make a decent
coldframe.
How early depends on a number of things. The deeper the coldframe, the
better insulated, of course. The more leaves or snow you add to the
sides, the better insulated. If you plant in the soil inside, which
never freezes, it is better than if you plant in small sixpacks that
could freeze. Will you place some sort of heat sink, such as water
containers, or hot manure to generate heat, etc. Since I put my
lettuce seedlings out under the tunnels on March 15, and also seed the
spinach at the same time, you can use your coldframe (with much better
insulation under all circumstances) at least as early as that. I would
roughly guess March 1, keeping in mind that Ann Arbor is just a bit
milder than Iowa.

Michael Cicha
Iowa City, Iowa
Zone 5A