Old 21-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Possibly Ailing Miniature Bamboo

Hello,

I have a tray planting of Pleioblastus pygmaeus (Sasa)

miniature bamboo.
The last couple months it seems to have slowly begun to

decline.

snip

I have also considered it is just slowing down for the

winter-time. But the
pale shoot issue had started to be noticeable in early autumn.

I normally keep the tray slightly moist, as I have lost similar

plantings if
any true drying-out occurs. It is currently in a west facing

window where
it has been wintered for 2 years. I have been wondering if I

need to
perhaps fertilize it slightly, but knowing that can be exactly

the wrong
thing to do, I thought I would field the question here first.

It may be winter slowdown. It may be that "grass" (bamboo isn't
grass, but it's close) just doesn't do too well indoors for any
length of time and should have been outside all summer. It may
be that the roots have filled up the pot and there's no nutrients
available. It may be something else.

There is a bamboo news group. Search your ISP's newsgroup
offerings. It may be rec.gardens.bamboo (or it may be alt.bamboo
or sci.bamboo), but if you search for "bamboo" you should find
it/them. Anyway, that's probably a better place for a definitive
answer.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++