Old 21-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Mike Prager

Default blowers

Snooze wrote:

Anyone comment on gas-powered blowers? I'm thinking about getting one
for leaf pickup, and more importantly, to clean driveways and streets
from grass clippings. Any comments on Stihl blowers?

I have had a Stihl string trimmer for over 10 yrs, and it's
continued to run reliably with no repairs and only basic
maintenance. If that's any indication, they make good,
reliable products.

Everyone has an opinion about leaf blowers. Mine is that when
used to clean up grass clippings, they are not objectionable
if you don't try to get the streets and walks absolutely
immaculate. (It's a street, not an operating room. So make it
decent, not spotless!) Then, the total time in use should be
only a few minutes. I've tried to do it with a broom or a
rake, and it can take 10 or 20 times as long, and still not
give very good results.

For gathering leaves, I suggest you find another way if
possible. The blower would be running for a long time to do
that, and the noise is really unkind to your neighbors.

The blowers do pollute, but so do many other things. I figure
in the absence of legislation it's up to everyone to make
their own choices.

I suggest wearing ear and eye protection when you use a leaf
blower.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)