Old 21-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Possibly Ailing Miniature Bamboo

I have a tray planting of Pleioblastus pygmaeus (Sasa) miniature bamboo.
The last couple months it seems to have slowly begun to decline.

The most noticeable symptom is drying out and browning of the leaves, which
occurs quite slowly from the tip back to the stem.

I have kept Sasa bamboo for many years, and I have always assumed this is normal behavior of the plant. It spreads by underground runners, with new growth from the tip, and old growth dying off at the oldest portions. Bamboo is a grass, so it doesn't for
m "wood", and each shoot has a finite growth pattern.

It is a fairly hardy bamboo (to zone 6, I think): if I keep it outside through the winter with protection, it does fine. If I keep it indoors over the winter, it doesn't get enough light or humidity, and looks bedraggled until spring, when I put it out ag
ain.

Nina

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++