Old 21-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Layne Layne is offline
Registered User

Default New tank: water still not cloudy in 6 days...bad?

New tank setting question:

Just set up a 29-gallon tank.
=================
Setting & Cycling:

Use 3 gold fish and one 3-spot gourami to start the cycle. 1 day
later add 3 danio zebras.

It's been 6 days so far and the water is still crystal clear. Is it bad and tend to a longer cycle time? I can see the fish are happy roaming about and eating good (twice a day, got eaten within 2-3 min).

It's a 36"x11"x17" (29 Gallon) tank,

Fluval 103 filter (Output 390L(86gal) per hour) with water outlet under water and the current upside disturbing the surface for aeration. (love it, so quiet, can sleep 5 feet away from my head).

Hagen Optima air pump with 1 air stone and one 14" air curtain. turned on for 1-2 hours a day, not always on because of the noise.

One 50W heater set to 74F (23C) but always off because the room is always 74F and the water is always 76-78F (why water is hoter? Maybe from lighting). Keep it in just in case.

Normal water washed round pebble gravel, 25lbs. 5mm-8mm size.
=======================
Lightly planted, 2-3 small plant.

1 Anubias barteri (spade-like leave, slow growth, tolerate low light)
2 Ophiopogon japonicus 'Kyoto Dwarf'(slow growth, medium light)

Tend to use low-medium light and don't use a top-cover, instead a mesh to keep air circulated.
=======================
Tend to introduce later:

1-2 pearl gourami (love it, but the existing female 3-spot is an aggressive one, already chased a smaller male out of tank, well, I took it out .
2 sunset gouramis.
2 dowarf gouramis.

4 platies (yellow micky mouse or red-all platy)

2-4 Cory cats. (Albino or green or whatever I can get from LFS)

1 clown loach (afraid of its uprooting habit)

Maybe more plant, low light pro.

So, anyone see ploblem about the setting, just shout...

(Maybe if I get all the fish, it will be a over-populated tank? As gold fish seem happy in the tank, I may keep them in after the cycling )

Hope you enjoy helping ...