Old 22-11-2003, 02:05 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Going to fist Orchid Show- need suggestions!!

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:03:56 +1100, "Bolero"
One thing I will suggest is that if you buy plants that have already
flowered then there might be a good reason why the seller is gettting rid of
them. For instance the flower quality or colour may be poor.

I always suggest only buying unflowered seedling or compots or flasks if
possible.

Seedlings in your situation would be the way to go.

I have no idea where Bolero lives and buys -
But in the Midwest and any vendor I have met in the US sells his
best plants to growers who will go out and brag "I got this from
Oak Hill or Natts or where ever" This is the BEST advertising
you can get as a vendor.
As a new grower you are not experienced enough or patient enough
to use flasks and compots as a reward for your effort. Yes some
people buy this way. IT is a 'pig in a poke' method of shopping.
If I want a plant I want to see what I am getting. There is
enough variance in what I can make that plant produce in flowers
and what it will do in the vendors gh. I have often gotten less
than happy results when I bought a seedling of a known cross.
After all - seedlings are each different and individual. Only
when you see it bloom will you know which particular seedling is
the best over its siblings.

As to prices, generally the prices are the catalog - generalities
are made to be broken. Some vendors will pick a plant or group
for 'show special' but at least you do not have to pay shipping
and you see the plant you are buying.

ENJOY! Have a orchi-holic time. The sheer volume of plants in a
limited space and the traffic will make you feel rushed. Calm
consideration is difficult to create and necessary to get the
most for your growing enjoyment. Remember this will not be your
last chance even for the vendors far from you. Look at it as a
chance to meet and judge for yourself their stock and their
style.

SuE