Old 22-11-2003, 02:06 AM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] new die grinder

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Cochrane"
Subject: [IBC] new die grinder

it
doesn't include variable speed control (though the Foredom foot-pedal will
work fine and leave your hands free) and it doesn't include an 1/8" collet
as well as a 1/4" collet for accommodating a wider selection of bits.

Dave,
You can get a router bit speed control for around $30ish dollars that die
grinder will plug into and you can slow it way down if you like.
Yes, it does come with a 1/8" collet which is removed for the 1/4", at least
all the ones I've sold ( same model) did. But, like I said before, that's a
lot of power to stick a 1/8" shaft into. You are better off to also own a
"dremel-type" 1/8" collet carver with a flex shaft for finer work.
As for the reciprocating models. I've had an automach since they came out
and rarely use it. There IS a reciprocating chisel attached to a right angle
grinder that is sold by Arbortech that I carry that will just eat the
automach alive! You have the power of a right angle grinder behind it
instead of a "dremelish" power behind it! Just my opinions. I seem to have
accumulated about everything over the years but what actually gets used
regularly is in a small group. I never use my foredom since it's not as
handy to move around as the die grinder.

While on die grinders, Makita makes a really tough, beefy die grinder model
with aluminum case. Nicer, but more, than the usual blue plastic model. You
can order these but rarely see them in stores since the are more expensive.
You might want to check them out.
Dale

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++