Old 22-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Jeffrey Ashby

Default HELP /w 1500 Gallon pond! Overfeeding

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your situation and for replying so late, I'm new to
the newsgroup.

I would suggest that you look up on the net a PVC counter current foam
fractionator. Something about 6' tall can be made for around $25 to
$35. The fractionator will help remove the fine solids suspended in the
water column (the milky look) it will strip CO2 to help readjust pH and
other water components and you can use your pump from the fountain to
power it until things get back to normal.

I had a similar problem as I was running two 600 gallon tanks and had an
automatic feeder lock open and dump fish feed all night long. Same
water conditions.

Also you may want to consider an overnite shipment of preactivated
bacteria from Aquatic Eco or other similar aquaculture retailer, add an
entire gallon all at once, you cannot over add the bacteria in this
case. That will help reduce the ammonia and nitrites (don't worry about
nitrates until they get over 200 ppm the other is much more important).

Your Koi will be sufering from ammonia poisoning and brown blood
disease, so you will also need LOTS of aeration as soon as things are
closer to equilibrium.

Good luck to you and the fish

Jeffrey Ashby
Aquaculture Consultant