Old 22-11-2003, 10:02 AM
gregpresley

Default blowers

Electric leaf blowers, people, electric leaf blowers and a 100 ft extension
cord......Even if that wouldn't work on a country estate, it would be a
satisfactory solution for 98% of America's homeowners......
"Snooze" wrote in message
om...
"Warren" wrote in message

But the point is that for each minute you are using your leaf blower,
you're polluting 17 times as much as each minute you drive your car. How
often you use your car, or how often you use the leaf blower is
irrelevant.

So 1 minute of leaf blowing releases same amount of pollution as driving a
car 17 minutes.

Each time I fart I make a horrible stink in the room. Far more than my
car would make. How much I drive my car is irrelevant. My fart still
stinks more than my car. Be thankful that I don't fart as much as I
drive, but don't forgive my fart just because I drive a lot.

As cute as your fart analogy sounds, it's hardly accurate. What percent of
the total air pollution released millions of cars on the road every day,

and
compare that to what percent of air pollution comes from the perhaps
thousands of leaf blowers and other two stroke engines being on any given
day.

It also doesn't matter if there are more cars than leaf blowers. If that
were a justification, the oil-fired power plant down the road could
defend it's polution by pointing out that there's only one plant for
every one million cars.

And oil or coal fired power plants are heavily regulated, in the tons of
pollution they are legally allowed to release.

The point is that a leaf blower puts out a disportional amount of
polution for it's size. Comparing it to a typical car is only meant to
emphisize that an engine far to big to strap on your back is 17 times
cleaner for each minute of use.

I agree that 2 strokes are much louder, and release far more pollutants

then
a similarly powered 4 stroke. But it does no good to bandage the paper cut
when the patient has also been shot in the chest. What is the marginal
benefit gained reducing air pollution by eliminating 2 stroke engine?
Compare that to the marginal benefit gained by using leaf blowers?

Sameer