Old 06-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Joe Doe

Default More, Better Blooms!

In article , "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

Must admit that I do the same thing as Shiva - dig out very large areas
for beds and replace with good soil with som efertilizers mixed in. To
be honest, I don't see the difference between amending or replacing
because sooner or later, you're still going to hit a barrier where the
solid clay begins.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Hitting a barrier where clay begins is not a big deal because as I have
shown in my reply to Shiva it is not something that is "bad" and has to be
avoided. When you ammend, the soil acts mostly like clay i.e. absorbs
water slowly and holds what it does absorb - you have all the benefits of
clay with the negatives mitigated. When you replace small holes you have
pockets that can absorb water shed by the clay on the surface - this is
definitely not a good situation. In your case since you replace entire
beds, it is more likely that the soil in fact behaves as one unit with no
negatives. However replacing entire beds may be an unncessary expense.
There are of course situations where this maybe the only choice.
Ultimately only you know if indeed this is your situation. If you are
happy with what you do that is the only thing that matters. Roses are
tolerant of numerous soil conditions.

Roland