Old 22-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Stuart Baldwin

Default Chenopodium giganteum magentaspreen

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 11:28 +0000 (GMT), (Steve
Harris) wrote:

Thanks. I was thinking of it mainly as an ornamental. Five foot of red
in a season is quite unusual.

The leaves are never entirely red but have quite a lot of magenta
colouring at the stem end. I would think they would make an
interesting backdrop to a border. Individual plants go straight up
and don't get very bushy (or at least mine didn't) so you'd need a few
to make any impact. I have read that you can let them go to seed for
continuity as they are easy to pull up when they germinate in the
wrong place, but you'd better get a second opinion on that from
someone with practical experience!
--
Stuart Baldwin
news\at/boxatrix\dot/co\dot/uk