Old 22-11-2003, 03:22 PM
William Orth

Default Rye or Ryegrass for Winter Green Mulch?

(FarmerDill) wrote in message ...

It will put on a ton of growth by March yet is relatively easy to disc
and plow under. I would not recommend it if you only have a tiller.
That might be messy.

It is not difficult with a medium to large tiller If you bush hog or mow first.

I can't imagine mowing the garden (especially with 12" of thick
growth), but you could certainly do it with a bush hog. In the past, I
have run the weed-eater in measured strips through the garden. I then
planted in these stips and left the rye growing around them.

The result was a bit out-of-control, but I really didn't have to weed
the enture garden all summer long. The rye -- which died out by August
-- kept the majority of weeds under control.