Old 22-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default A thick red stalk and thin, leathery, white-veined leaves?

I suppose nobody can identify it from your overly technical use of precise
scientific terminology.

So it looks just like a palm tree but completely different and is a two foot
tree at that?

Dan Stanley wrote in message
Hi,

I live in Northern Virginia's Shenandoah Valley (zone six I believe) and I
saw some very attractive plants that looked like they should have been in

pot by the side of the road today.

They were from one to two feet tall and had thick, soft, red stems. The
leaves all came out of the single stalk and looked like the top of a palm
tree except they continued down the stalk a ways. The leaves were long -
maybe six inches - and thin - about 3/4 inch - dark, leathery green with
white veins.

We have had a couple of good frosts so most plants are down for the winter
but these looked very comfortable growing out of the grass. There were
several of them growing side by side.

I looked around a little for a picture of something similar but didn't

have
any luck. Any guidance you might give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan