Old 23-11-2003, 12:42 AM
len gardener

Default Test

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:50:07 +1100, "Fran"
wrote:

"snipped

yep and lookin better all the time, me and me behavioral problems hey?

snipped
towards a goal.

yep but handy runs out when resources such as usable or needed
material aren't around, nothing of worth gets dumped at our landfill
tip, and no second hand places around that are close at hand. and when
it looked like that selling was the only out a lot of baby went out
with the bath water.

snipped
quick as you would like.

yep there are certainly some noticable changes around here all for the
better, even some of our early tree plantings are looking noticable,
of course the citrus and stone fruit orchid looks a dream those trees
are growing up a storm and giving us fruit in season.

snipped
of natives from harvesting pods.

the only harvesting is of the seedlings that appear around the place,
will need to gain knowledge on seed collection and germination, would
also like to do tip cuttings as well, but don't have anywhere outside
the house where i can set up and get going.

snipped
dragging was dismissed as totally unimportant.

be good to get some useful stuff from the tip then bev doesn't like me
scavenging. got some casuarina seedlings off of ted a few weeks back
potted them and have now just planted them out as they all survived
the shock of transplanting. must try and get up and see them this week
if possible after the rain we had last night getting seedlings will be
easier.

ted also wants some more of his citronella grass the first lot i
tookkhim all died, plus he wants more pigeon peas seeds as well.

snipped
want some pods from it let me know and I can send you some.

i would need to find out how to germinate them but yes all donations
gratefully accepted, we are wanting to create an area of cas's and
white cedar + whatever else for the black cockatoos, we see quiet a
few yellow tailed one's but very few red tailed one's. had the luxury
of having 4 reds spend some time around our place and next door last
week they where eating the black acacia seeds.

BTW, how did all the other stuff I sent go over the long term?

most is doing very well now after a shaky start, the rhubarb only 2
clumps but growing real strong and good eating is doing great, now
that i moved it to a better spot divided it a bit and lost most but
the 2 are quiet large clumps now. i did give a clump away to a
desperate rhubarb lover and then nearly paid the price by losing what
we had left you sent 5 i think we then had 3 then after the donation
2, which i split into 9 and the rest is history.

lost a lot of comfry due to heat, no water and no rain when we only
had temp' conditions, but have some nice stuff out of that still going
now only not sure if it was your comfry or ours that survived or even
a bit of both chuckle. ted was baby sitting some comfry for us before
he moved so we got that back and that is going like a steam train have
already given ted a lot of it back again.

the tansy is coming on nice again this year winter was a bit rugged
for it this year but it is spreading but not rampant our sandy soil
and drier conditions keep it in temper.

last but not least the horse radish sadly succumbed to drought
conditions, and we thought it was invincibale, so we never got to
using it's cullenary delights.

but now with mass mulching the soil is holding better moisture so all
things are doing great, just picked another mess of r/barb and still
got enough to pick for another couple of deserts or so. we don't eat
lots of it.

snipped
slash before the seed heads get a chance to form?

any weeds we've got have been spasmodic nothing of note even had bails
with lots of scotch thistle seed in but very few germinated anyway for
us if it grows and its gree then the ='s nitrogen and trace elements
and plant food. we've even collected huge amounts of that milk weed
cotton weed and put it through the mulcher direct to the ground but no
regrowth from it. there's bound to be some extra grasses here and
there from all the different sources, but it all gets recycled into
our system somehow somewhere.

ted got some kahki weed from fodder bails he bought now that's a nasty
little thing to get rid of, i did get one little patch that i was able
do dig up and burn, but by and large with continual mulching no more
weeds than waht we had first off. reckon we've put at least hundreds
of bails through here by now.

snipped

don't see that will be a real problem.

not being fleet of foot we are vey wary of snakes so the dogs keep us
close company they usually see them first, don't mind seeing the
red-bellied blacks they are quiet docile and easy to well you know,
haven't seen a tiger on the dam for a couple years now did have 3 at
one time but that's another story. haven't seen any monty pythons at
all seen a few olive tree snakes.

but the eastern brown our first sighting ever they put the wind up us
at least for a couple of days our awareness is hightened, they are
rapid fire movers and very dangerous. but this one has probably kept
right on going and we may never see it again well that's what the
experts say.

snipped
with rat shot at that sort of distance.

you have dog nappers wow low types hey, that snake probably long gone
by now maybe. some neighbours here lost a jr but i reckoned it may
have gotten a lead aspirin for it's habit of killing other peoples
chooks off even after repeated complaints by those to the it's owners.

snipped
find some seedlings - not a very usual thing here.

got a canteloup and an un-named heirloom

snipped
Sounds like it works well then.

yup for immidiate action ripping is the go especially in sandy soils,
should do well for heavy clays as well and far less work than making a
proper trench type swale also less impact on the immidiate terrian.
most of the mulch is layed in long rows along the tree lines these
also act as swales.

snipped

will do

snipped
who wasn't :-))

yes it was excellent for meeting cyber pals we used to have lots of
chat going on, that became part of my daily routine so do miss it a
bit but hey this is great maybe we will inspire huh?

snipped

last i heard he was peddling a push bike generator or somethin' huh
chuckle, sorry pete only jokin' huh lol

snipped
while.

we got some long awaited rain last night 6.25mm in all and no follow
up on the horizon so hoping for a storm tonight to consolidate waht we
ahve.

snipped

good to be chatting see ya

len n bev