Old 23-11-2003, 02:42 AM
Bill Litchfield

Default compost

"Joseph O'Brien" wrote in message
om...
I've been itching to start a garden for a few months now. I tried to
curb my appetite by reading books and websites, but I just couldn't
stand it any longer! So, today, I built a compost pile out of wooden
pallets and spent a beautiful fall day raking leaves. Funny to think
that my first step towards growing food is to hasten the decay of it.

Unfortunately, it's not a very proper compost pile. I've read about
putting down layers of green and brown, mixing in compost starters,
cutting it all up into little bits, but I just don't have the time or
resources to do that. So, I just dumped everything in, mixed it up,
and will hope for the best.

What should I expect from this kind of setup in the spring? I plan on
emtpying table scraps throughout the winter and giving it a good stir
every week. Would you have any other recommendations?

I can't wait for spring!

Your pile as described will eventually provide compost even if you do
nothing more to it. Compost happens...nature has been making the stuff since
day one!
However, I would recommend that you try to keep your pile moist to the
consistency of a wrung out sponge.

Shalom,
Bill

thanks,