Old 23-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Tumbleweed

Default Duckweed

"Robert Wallace" wrote in message
I have a small pond I keep for frogs and wildlife.
Each year it gets covered with a thick layer of duckweed that causes the
water to become dark and evil smelling.

I asked my local fish and pond centre for some magic powder, but they said
all you can do is scoop it out.

This is plainly ridiculous as it grows faster than I can scoop!

I have tried emptying the pond and fitting a new liner but blow me if it
didn't come back.

Thus far Duckweed 3 Me 0
Any ideas???

I sypathise. This has been raised several times, also on
free.uk.nature.ponds.

The only way to get rid of it is mechanical, and the only way to do that is
by making sure every single piece is removed. Very difficult. I managed it
by removing the old liner and also getting rid of the plants that had been
there before because they had bits of duckweed on them, and being *very*
meticulous that the water I used to transfer the fish didnt have any it it.
that was after 2 or 3 years of scooping with no effect.
I agree with the other posts, the smelly water has nothing to do with the
duckweed, that is too much rotting material. Possible causes, you are
feeding your fish too much, you have too many fish, too many leaves are
getting into the pond.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)