Old 23-11-2003, 09:42 AM

Default Frog Pond

Pat,

From all I've heard, they just turn up. It may take a while, but on a
"rural" property that should be a short while.

Make sure the pond is not too sterile - the taddies need some
decomposing scrunge to eat. I've found they prefer quiet water, so not
too big a pump if you decide to have one at all.

The BIG rule is that you should never import frogs from somewhere else -
even somewhere quite close. This helps spread the frog-destructo virus.

Mozzies can be a problem. A couple of small native fish will help here,
but in my experience, they will also eat the frog spawn and the tiny
taddies. Check out the web for appropriate species which won't stuff up
the local creeks if they happen to get loose.

Ensure there's a "ramp" or an easy slope for the frogs to leave the
water if they want.

Kookas love frogs, so make sure there's plenty of hiding places, surface
weed cover, etc.

There's so much I could say about cats and/or some cat owners, too, but
I won't.

Finally, when they frogs have gathered, don't whinge about all the
noise! It can be very therapeutic.