Old 23-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Wendy

Default A cocktail for your Orchids?

Interesting stuff Ray!
It's party time!!!! In the spirit of things,
picture this, a greenhouse with a bunch of blooming, 'drunken' orchids????
But the proof of the ethanol indulgence would be what they
looked like with a hangover???? *G*
--
Cheers Wendy
Remove PETERPAN for email reply

"Ray" wrote in message
"Proof" is not equal to percentage.

In alcoholic beverages, the proof is generally considered to be twice the
percentage of alcohol in the overall liquid, so 180 proof = 90% ethanol.
That dates back to when spirits were graded with gunpowder rather than
hygrometers. Gunpowder was saturated with the spirit, and if it would

flash
when ignited, the spirit "proved" itself, and was defined as 100 degrees
"proof" (100°). This has since been found to actually be at 57.15%

ethanol.

. . . . . . . . . . .
"Quelqu`un" wrote in message
. ..
Hello! Interresting....

Where can you find a 180 proof alcohol! Isn`t the max 100????

anyway, I do use pure bleach, 7 drops per liter of water once a month to
clean roots and it seems to keep them happy as well.

Claude

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
ink.net...
| At the last orchid society meeting Weyman Bussey from Abunda Flora in
Texas
| spoke to our group. One of the ideas he mentioned was that 180 proof
| alcohol (moonshine or grain alcohol) added to the water will make the
roots
| very happy. He claims it extends the life of the organic media and

kills