Old 23-11-2003, 03:13 PM
martin

Default turf or seed

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:57:02 GMT, Hazell B
wrote:

If you want the whole lawn to be a little higher, try covering the
current grass with thick dark plastic to kill it off over winter then
level out with added soil and turf on top. However, if you need it all
to be the same average level, removing the old turf manually is the
only option.

Wouldn't fancy the latter myself! Besides the hard work, the cost of
getting a skip in to dump the old turf may be high if you have no room
to rot it down at home.

Looking at lawn grass seed prices, turfing isn't that much more costly
these days. It's quicker, too.

We, actually my wife, re-seeded the bald/thin patches of the lawn in
mid September, when somebody here recommended it and covered it with
fleece to keep the birds off. We have a nice good as new lawn again
now. We consulted someone in Rogers Plants garden centre in Pickering
as to which lawn seed to buy. AFAIR it was a mixture of seeds.
--
Martin