Old 23-11-2003, 07:26 PM
David

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , martin
writes

I have had a ten fold increase in spam over the last couple of days.

We have found that if you bounce spams (envelope rejection), you are
soon taken off the mailing lists. When the address harvesters guarantee
to provide, x million active addresses, they mean *active*. A bounce is
not an active address!!

We know this because recently, when my spousal unit got his new machine,
he sent just *one* measly little post to his news group before
remembering to hide his email address. Within hours we were receiving
spams and within 24 this amounted to dozens. We then changed our active
mail box and bounced everything from the old mail box. Within a week we
were receiving only the odd spam and now don't seem to receive any.

Believe me BOUNCING SPAM WORKS )))))))))))))

But just about all the return addresses are false Jane, they are either
throw away ones or an unknowing host. I have been adjusting the
rejection rules for a number of months now and haven't seen any
reduction in the amount of overall mail, just the amount that's getting
through. AIUI there is usually no way back to the spammer from the email
that you are sent. I also get a lot of returned rejected mail saying
that the address is unknown :-(((
--
David