Old 23-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Winter project

Took the first steps toward my winter project this morning:
rebuilding my bonsai tables.

The first step was removal of a 50-foot water oak from my display
area. I'm exhausted (and need to get a new chain for my chainsaw
before I do THAT again!). But the tree is down, cut into 75
2-foot lengths of various diameters for my neighbor's fireplace
(and she's already come to pick it up) and I have about a foot of
sawdust spread around where the tree came down -- with a BOOM!

My growing area went from dim to bright in one loud crash. (And
I even managed to fell it in the right direction. ;-)

I'll watch the new path of the sunlight over the next 2 weeks.
Then I'll demolish the old tables and start on the new ones.

I now have 2 4x8-foot tables in an "L" shape that are
over-crowded with trees. The new setup will also be two tables,
but these will be two-tiered, and wider on the bottom. The
bottom table will be 5x8-foot at about 3 feet tall. The upper
tier will be 3x8 foot at about 5 feet tall. My Dripworks
watering tubes will come up through the tables at each end and
will have emitters set to cover the table. I may or may not have
one in the middle top. The new tables will either be in the same
"L" shape or will be set parallel and about 10 feet apart. I
already have a slate walkway up to the tables.

(I also have a number of individual pedestals with trees
scattered through my garden. They won't change.)

I'll use 4x4" treated posts and 2x4 treated cross braces, but the
table tops are going to be that plastic lumber. With luck, I'll
never have to build another set of tables!

So if you hear a very loud scream in the weeks before Christmas,
it's me hitting my thumb with a hammer!

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++