Old 23-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default A late fall fairy moment and bad dawg boredom

The message
from madgardener contains these words:
When
we ate chicken, I shared the bones with Rose, Pesters and Sugar
because the punishment was over.

Cooked chicken bones are a big no-no for cats and dogs; they make
splinters which could penetrate the gut and cost a lot of pain and
money. Our dogs only get fresh raw beef bones. Free from the butcher;
strictly for outdoor consumption :~}

And she KNOWS when she does
things we disapprove of.

In many ways, a bright young dog is similar to an active toddler. Both
understand adult words, voice tone, body language, and roughly what
behaviour is expected or tolerated, but are highly unlikely to be "good"
or compliant all the time. Their self-control is very un-developed and
frequently overwhelmed by desire, curiousity and growing independence.
They have a low boredom threshold and a lot of energy.

This
is a well loved, well fed dog that has another dog for companionship,
we play with her, provide her with rawhide chewies, give her attention
when she's awake and while she sleeps beside us. She's not tied
outside and left alone, she even has the companionship of two of our
cats.

My guess is, she's bored and lonely and needs more human company and walks.

All those nice things above are no substitute for what lively young
pet dogs want most of all, which is daily energetic outings in human
company. Lots of running excercise and the mental and sensory
stimulation of somewhere different from home and garden.Some energetic
work-breed pet dogs (border collie, german shepherd, dalmatian,
retriever, to name a few) ideally need to run about 10 miles every day
during their youthful years, to keep them happy and physically and
mentally healthy. Other breeds and age groups are satisfied with less.

If owners can't provide sufficient walks/company for a particular dog's
needs, sometimes the most loving thing they can do is have it rehomed.
I've acquired two wonderful dogs from exactly that circumstance, so
there can be a happy ending.

Janet.