Old 23-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] winter care

In a message dated 11/23/2003 2:15:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have to take greater pains to put my trees away for the winter than he
does.

I just finished packing my greenhouse with Orchids and Tropicals. I will
be away for Thanksgiving and there is always the danger of a very early frost.
If I wasn't leaving town I would probably wait almost a month.
The coldest day I have seen at my place was Christmas Day of 1989. It
went to 18 F in the early morning and didn't get above freezing all day.
I had fewer plants, didn't have my greenhouse finished, so the plants
sat it out in the garage.
The electric power company was having brown outs and people who had
only electric heat (as I do) were sending their children to stay with friends
who had gas heat.
We stayed home, bundled up and got through.
Jim Smith in Vero Beach, about 100 miles south of here, has a Ficus
salisifolia 89. A plant that went through that same cold snap in his place and
came back with different leaves.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++