Old 23-11-2003, 10:05 PM

Default A late fall fairy moment and bad dawg boredom

cocker spaniels used to be a hunting dog. then they became popular and the breed was
basically ruined by wanton over breeding. yes, they are incredibly stupid, like
trying to train an Afghan, it isnt that it cant be done, but it is amazing when it is
done.
Lots of people "do" dog training. I have seen various methods come and go, the
latest rage is "clicker" training... originally designed for porpoises who hear well
in that range. ah well. it isnt how well she can train dogs, it is how many people
drop out in frustration trying to get their hunting dogs trained being "nice".
I agree, training (like with a kid) is nag, nag, nag and constant reminding, and
saying the same command every time and enforcing it.
when a person walks in the door and the dog that is normally waiting to greet them is
hiding instead, I think one can make some deductions about dog behavior then.
OTOH, when I yell "what did you do" at my dogs for no reason, they look back blankly
(well, all but one who was raised Catholic). It like the dogs dont attack the
garbage when I am in the kitchen, but if I leave the door op;en and leave all bets
are off. And if I am sitting at my puter and a dog slinks by ears flat and looking
back at me I had better go and check the house over. Ingrid

Frogleg wrote:
We had a Cocker Spaniel
McConnell impresses the hell out of me. She *does* do animal training
for a living,

A *lot* of animal
training takes time and dreary repetition.

As for "knowing he's guilty," I do have doubts about that. When you
approach an animal with heavy breathing and fire in your eye, he
probably expects *something's* wrong and he's in for a bad time, even
if he has absolutely no memory of the cause.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.