Old 23-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] winter care

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

In a message dated 11/23/2003 2:15:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have to take greater pains to put my trees away for the winter than he
does.

I just finished packing my greenhouse with Orchids and Tropicals. I will
be away for Thanksgiving and there is always the danger of a very early frost.
If I wasn't leaving town I would probably wait almost a month.

I didn't mean to imply that people in warmer areas don't have to do anything, but
I'd be willing to bet it doesn't involve as much as we have to do up here.

I have got most of my trees in storage in an area between a stone retaining wall
and the foundation of the house, mulched with leaves. This will fill with snow and
the whole thing will freeze solid. The trees in larger boxes will go against the
foundation of the house in another area, mulched with leaves.

The coldest day I have seen at my place was Christmas Day of 1989. It
went to 18 F in the early morning and didn't get above freezing all day.

Typical winter day here.

snip
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++