Old 23-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Elizabeth Naime

Default Moving Fish

Someone (I lost track in the quotes of quotes) said,
Stock tanks come in upto 300gals. The latter, being round (better for
swimming) would make a great temporary pond.

They sure do! They also come in larger than 300 gallons. We have a 7'
diameter by 2' deep one, and they get larger than that if you special
order. The price per gallon is really not at all bad.

I would advise that if you buy a new stock tank for this purpose, go for
the plastic ones. The galvanized steel tanks seem to be okay after they
have been "seasoned", i.e. had water in them for a while, but the oils
off of the fresh new tanks can harm fish.

These above-ground ponds will work fine if you can get electricity out
to them and put in a stock tank de-icer. You could put in a pond de-icer
if you have one, but the last time I looked at pond de-icers, they were
the same manufacturer, same specs, looked exactly the same inside the
box, just a bit more expensive! Use a heater guard if your temporary
pond is plastic. De-icers and heater guards are inexpensive and
available at the same feed and farm supply stores you'll be getting the
big stock tanks from.

Only know that there is no spork.