Old 23-11-2003, 11:17 PM
Franz Heymann

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:33:00 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:17:50 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

~In article , martin
writes
~
~I have had a ten fold increase in spam over the last couple of days.
~
~We have found that if you bounce spams (envelope rejection), you are
~soon taken off the mailing lists. When the address harvesters guarantee
~to provide, x million active addresses, they mean *active*. A bounce is
~not an active address!!
~
~We know this because recently, when my spousal unit got his new machine,
~he sent just *one* measly little post to his news group before
~remembering to hide his email address. Within hours we were receiving
~spams and within 24 this amounted to dozens. We then changed our active
~mail box and bounced everything from the old mail box. Within a week we
~were receiving only the odd spam and now don't seem to receive any.
~
~Believe me BOUNCING SPAM WORKS )))))))))))))

How does one do it please? I have a really old version of Agent and I
don't think it can bounce stuff.

You have to use something like Mailwasher. Unfortunately some Spam
uses forged FROM: and you could get into trouble by bouncing to
innocent people. Most spammer sites ignore bounced mail.

I used to use Mailwasher before I got my ISP to filter out my spam. I never
noticed any significant drop in spam which I could associate with whether I
bounced or just deleted.

Franz