Old 23-11-2003, 11:17 PM
jane

Default OT. new antispam laws in the US

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:47:21 +0100, martin wrote:

~On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:33:00 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:
~
~On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:17:50 +0000, Jane Ransom
~wrote:
~
~~In article , martin
writes
~~
~~I have had a ten fold increase in spam over the last couple of days.
~~
~~We have found that if you bounce spams (envelope rejection), you are
~~soon taken off the mailing lists. When the address harvesters guarantee
~~to provide, x million active addresses, they mean *active*. A bounce is
~~not an active address!!
~~
~~We know this because recently, when my spousal unit got his new machine,
~~he sent just *one* measly little post to his news group before
~~remembering to hide his email address. Within hours we were receiving
~~spams and within 24 this amounted to dozens. We then changed our active
~~mail box and bounced everything from the old mail box. Within a week we
~~were receiving only the odd spam and now don't seem to receive any.
~~
~~Believe me BOUNCING SPAM WORKS )))))))))))))
~
~How does one do it please? I have a really old version of Agent and I
~don't think it can bounce stuff.
~
~You have to use something like Mailwasher. Unfortunately some Spam
~uses forged FROM: and you could get into trouble by bouncing to
~innocent people. Most spammer sites ignore bounced mail.

A lot of my spam is bounced stuff that has me forged as the sender. I
am forever emailing Demon abuse saying that I've been used yet again
and please not to think I'm a spammer if anyone complains.

250+ today and counting... one useful mail.
Sadly I suspect that posting here has upped my visibility so that I'm
getting more. Though I can filter out a lot of it - anyone I know goes
into folders immediately, obvious spam gets filtered by keywords into
a junk folder for immediate deletion without reading (or I get
incensed at the filth) and I get about 20 to vet. Obviously, I'd
rather not have to...

Unfortunately, occasionally I delete a genuine mail from someone who
hasn't mailed me before. *sigh*

I think I'm going to have to switch to a different username and bin
anything to jane. That should remove the rest of the spam or at least
make it 100% filterable.

--
jane

Mark Twain