Old 24-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Dan Stanley

Default A thick red stalk and thin, leathery, white-veined leaves?

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion. The picture I found of the Cyperus Papyrus L.
that I found is the closest match I have made although it is definitely not
it. The plant I want to identify has a thicker and completely vertical, red
stalk. The leaves are dark green, about half an inch wide with white veins.
I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a photo. The picture of the
Cyperus Papyrus L. is posted he
http://epec.org/0021B.jpeg
-Dan

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. com...
Considering what one might compare to a miniature palm tree, Cyperus comes
to mind. If it is a Cyperus species be forewarned that they can be noxious
weeds. Species identification can be difficult as it is a very large genus
with over 600 species. A neighbor down the street let a wild one grow on

in
their garden as an ornamental until it spread so rapidly it almost choked
out everything else.

Dan Stanley wrote in message
Hi,

I live in Northern Virginia's Shenandoah Valley (zone six I believe) and

saw some very attractive plants that looked like they should have been

in
pot by the side of the road today.

They were from one to two feet tall and had thick, soft, red stems. The
leaves all came out of the single stalk and looked like the top of a

palm
tree except they continued down the stalk a ways. The leaves were long -
maybe six inches - and thin - about 3/4 inch - dark, leathery green with
white veins.

We have had a couple of good frosts so most plants are down for the

winter
but these looked very comfortable growing out of the grass. There were
several of them growing side by side.

I looked around a little for a picture of something similar but didn't

have
any luck. Any guidance you might give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan