Old 24-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Show questions

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:18:37 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

"The Edgleys" wrote in message
Dear Experts,

Here are a couple of general show related questions. If you have a system
that really works well, I would like to know.

1) Does anyone have a computer program that handles show entries well? I

Yes, Kath the original of the program you saw had no requirement
for early registration because it still uses the old 2 part form.

The program that is not sophisticated, so runs on what the
registrar enters is nothing but an access list of the classes and
their names. You enter the plants and their owners and floor
location. The program sorts the entries, counts the number in
each class so the King Judge can order up his Judging Teams by
the number of entries. Once the team number is entered it sorts
on that field to print the classes that each team will judge.

It is not a large program. IT fits on a floppy. It can have
multiple input computers as long as they all enter all the person
data (name, exhibit #, exhibitor #). Because at the end of the
day you can fold all the entries into one database and then print
out the reports.

Right now the format on the report of awards is awkward. But it
can be sent to Word.

Yes, I am planning on working with an access expert before Spring
Semester and working out some of the kinks, awkwardness.

How soon do you need it?
Kath - You will see the live demo in Denver in October.
http://denverorchidsociety.org/rmjc_news.html has our class
schedule. Sorry the species to class number and the show rules
are not presently posted.

In Illinois OS we used 6 mo. I like that better than the 4 mo we
use now. We have another rule that I think is odd. In IOS you
could buy a plant add it for filler to your display but not show
it for judging. Here if you get a new plant you can show it as a
display of plants owned less than 4 mo. and only the display will
be judged.... that means one plant can cause a display award. I
think the 6 mo. rule is best.

The Novice Display is an award for someone who has not put in an
individual display before. Not that they did not win, just that
they never built and individual display. Most years it is a
guarantee of an award. (Usually only one novice per show.) If
you work with someone and put in a "group (of 2) display - you
are still a novice. You can be in charge of the society exhibit
- you are still a novice.

SuE