Old 24-11-2003, 01:42 AM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] winter care

I do feel sorry for you Craig.... A small portion of my trees will go
into the garage sometimes after Thanksgiving, I guess...(we haven't had
that much cold weather...). But while you have idle hands, I will be
playing with my forty some tropicals in my heated, "Tree House" and
loving every minute of the winter. 8-)

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Craig Cowing wrote:

"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:

In a message dated 11/23/2003 12:04:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Hi,
I was just wondering if there is any special advice or important things to
know for taking care of bonsai during the winter. Is the winter an okay time
for pruning and wiring? Thanks for any advice.
From, Colin Horn
Orinda, CA

Many Bonsai books have species specific information, Yoshimura does
for example. However these directions are based upon Tokyo, Japan I think.
Where you are might be/is different.
This is part of the reason participation in a local club is so
important. The answer to this question depends upon the location and the species of
plant.
I don't dare repot a Juniper until late Dec. through mid Feb. snip
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

This highlights how over-wintering conditions vary widely depending on where a person
lives. I'm in southern NY state, and while Billy is repotting his trees in
December-Feb. mine are frozen into their storage area. I don't have access to my trees
all winter. I can't do anything until the ground begins to thaw, usually in March. As
a result, I have to take greater pains to put my trees away for the winter than he
does.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++