Old 24-11-2003, 02:48 AM
Susan Erickson

Default Show questions

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:04:21 GMT, "K Barrett"
wrote:

We give our ribbons to those who can *grow orchids*. Hence the 6 month rule.

YES, - AND MANY HAVE.

Many people laugh at ribbon judging. There
are categories in which there is only one entry, ie *no* competition, so the
judges *just give a blue ribbon*. What kind of an honor is that?

Not all judges give a blue - some will give a red or even pass.
There are a few standards - The opinion is that a winner, not
knowing the class size, will try harder next time and enter more.

Now, the AOS allows a person to buy a plant and get a quality award on it a
minute later.

I don't like this either. I think the award is to the plant as
grown by xyz... there should be a requirement that xyZ grows it.

IMHO handwriting is better. Bad handwriting can cost you

Bad handwriting can cost you time and typos when your building
the judges sheets. Having a clear typed list makes it easier for
them to review the entire class.

The PEOPLE have to be
good. No amount of computer technology will make up for untrained volunteers
who haven't a clue as to what they are doing.

So, spend some time training your people. They will get more out of it, and
so will the club, in terms of having to do less training or having more
trained people who can train others next year.

You need to train the head clerk on his/her duties and one of
those is to organize the rest of the clerks to help facilitate
the smooth running of the team. To know not only where the
closest exhibit is, but where there is an alternate or an
alternate path if traffic is a problem during judging. Good head
clerks train the others and recruit for next year.

K Barrett

SuE