Old 24-11-2003, 06:44 AM
hermine stover

Default 30 year old seeds

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 06:01:07 GMT, "Lynn Coffelt"
wrote:

Ok, I do tend to procrastinate a little, but near the Mekong in 1973 I
gathered some seeds of a particularly beautifully foliaged bush. They have
been neglected in my shaving kit all these years.

Is there any hope? I've got a very small greenhouse and a seed starting mat
from Charlie's Greenhouse. Is it worth a try, or are seeds that old better
in the compost heap?

Old Chief Lynn

It cannot hurt to try. seed collected at archaeological digs have
germinated, i forgot the exact numbers, but some kind of aquatic
flowering plant was featured decades ago in the National Georgraphic,
grown from seed collected in an Egyptian tomb from the pharaonic
period. i would soak these well, and do all the things to goose
germination, bottom heat and all that good stuff.

hermine