Old 24-11-2003, 10:12 AM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Bay Trees

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Sanson wrote:
I'm interested in growing bay trees from seed. Does anyone have any
experience of this and also know of suppliers of seeds in th UK?

For reasons I don't know, I have not seen it set seed in the UK,
though I can't say I have looked very hard. Quite a lot of plants
from warmer climates flower well (as it does) but don't set seed.
Or it could be that most clones are of one sex (it is dioecious)
or for several other reasons.

snip

My small collection of bay trees (in pots) come from a neighbours garden.
The bay tree there was surrounded by seedlings - we just transplanted a few.
So they do set seed naturally outside in Suffolk.

I assume they may also grow from cuttings - I have divided one which was
putting up extra shoots from the roots and this worked well.

HTH
Dave R