Old 24-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis

I've just acquired one of these. It was a bare bulb when I got it a week or
so ago, and is now sending up new leaves.

However, I vaguely recollect that the Amaryllis bulb I had as a child (that
one had deep red flowers, I forget the variety) had quite strong thick
green leaves.

I have this plant near a north-facing window (though not on the sill, as
it's too narrow), and the new leaves are quite a pale green, with a slight
reddish flush at the tips, and seem thinner than I remember.

I'm a bit concerned by the pale leaves that it might not be getting enough
light. Should I move it to a south-facing windowsill?

If you've got one, what do the leaves look like? How variable are
hippeastrum leaves anyway?

Victoria Clare
--
gardening on a north-facing hill