Old 24-11-2003, 03:07 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Hippeastrum Papilio / Butterfly Amaryllis

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in
:

In article ,
Victoria Clare writes:

| I'm a bit concerned by the pale leaves that it might not be getting
| enough light. Should I move it to a south-facing windowsill?

Almost certainly. The winter sun in the UK is so feeble that
even the most extreme "no direct sunlight" plants are likely to
be better off with a south-facing window. And amaryllis is not
one such, as far as I know.

Oh drat. My southfacing windowsills are mostly booked. I was hoping
Papilio might have naturally pale leaves. I've pu a mirror behind it, so
at least it is getting light on both sides now.

I know you are quite right about even shadelovers prefering more sun in
winter.

I recently moved an orchid from a north to southfacing window for the
winter, and it is absolutely delighted. New roots are sprouting out all
over, and buds are swelling...

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill