Old 24-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Phisherman

Default blowers

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:17:44 +0000 (UTC), (Spud
Demon) wrote:

J Kolenovsky writes in article dated Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:38:47 -0600:
Sherwin Durbren, right on! Lets target leaf blowers, 2 cycle
motorcycles, jet-ski's, all 2 cycle motors, and snowmobiles. (did I
leave any other 2 cycles out?) =

2-stroke motorcycles are already illegal to ride on public roads (in the
US). Jetski's stink if you're downwind, so do 2-stroke snowmobiles
probably. I wouldn't ban 'em but when I buy one I'll get 4-stroke.

The only advantage to 2-stroke engines is they are lighter than a 4-stroke
engine with the same power output. So it makes sense to make 2-stroke
chainsaws and hand-carry leaf blowers. As I said in an earlier post, I've
been put off those blowers because of the short (100 hr) engine life.

My neighbor who's a manager at a lawn company got out his blower-on-wheels
the other day, I don't know if it's 2- or 4-stroke. But it really did the
job quick! He made one pass right next to his house and most of the leaves
went into the street, 40' away. I think he did one more pass at 20', total
time 1 minute.

The 2-cycle engines are better when working on any angle. My mower is
two-cycle because of the steep slopes. A 4-cycle engine may not get
the required oil. Yes, they pollute more, more noisy, need a fuel-oil
mix, but I wear hearing protection. Getting back to the blowers, the
Stihl is more quiet than the Poulman (Weedeater), but the cost is 2X.
I'm willing to pay 30% for a quiet machine, but not 100% more. My
Weedeater gas trimmer is 14 years old and still going strong.
Electric tools are not at all practical for my large 1.5-acre lot, but
for small properties they are a good choice.