Old 24-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Why Mulch ??

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

However, the
"mulching" process still confuses me.

Mulch doesn't stop the ground from freezing; it prevents the ground from *thawing*. The greatest stress on both trees and pots is irregular weather when the ground continually freezes and thaws. Mulch acts as a buffer. Snow will do the same thing, if

you are lucky enough (nyah nyah Jim) to live where you get a continuous blanket of snow. Both mulch and snow will buffer the ground from going too much BELOW freezing, because a sudden severe cold snap can kill inadequately protected roots.

snip

Nina has it exactly right. Mulching evens out the highs and lows of temperatures. It can sometimes get warm on a sunny winter day, and a tree in a pot exposed to the elements could begin to thaw out.

Snow is another benefit of winter. It does the same thing as mulch, by insulating the ground and whatever is in it, and helping to moderate the highs and lows. When I lived in Maine, we would sometimes have what the old-timers called an "open winter," wi
th no snow. Let me tell you, the ground would freeze far deeper than it did if there were snow on the ground, sometimes as deep as three feet. That's a lot of frost. If it were to snow, especially if the snow had fallen early enough, like
November, the ground would be more insulated because it had not had a chance to freeze very deeply. During an open winter people would have problems with their wells, pipes would freeze, in the late winter the ground would heave from the excessive frost i
n the ground, and we'd have a mud season that was legendary.

Snow also protects evergreens from windburn. It's a great thing. I leave my trees open to the elements so snow will build up around them. They are in the front of the house, between a retaining wall and the foundation so there's protection from wind.
The snow slides off the roof and fills the area up, and when I'm shoveling the sidwalk I shovel the snow right in. I like to keep the trees completely buried in snow if at all possible.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++